Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for U-shaped Kitchen

Posted by colorfast (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 13:59

Hi, I'm shopping for lighting for our kitchen remodel and realizing I'm over my head.

Kitchen will keep basic shape as current, but across from the U, the cabinets on the far wall will be deeper, 18 inches. Will also have undercab lights for portion that has countertop.

Already planning on:

1. LED under-cab lights. Cabinet maker will put a trim to lower the notice of units. DH selected a set that I will try to post the details of later when he's available.

2. Currently have a 70s dining room chandelier over the table that we will replace with something updated. we may actually do this piece later.

3. Island hood (ordered) will have lights in it for stove, halogen I believe.

Need:
Over sink, there is not lots of space there for a recessed light without the soffit. (Eaves at edge of house see pix). Are there shorter ones? Do a pendant light? Our ceilings are only 92 inches. The pendants I saw had way too long of a steel bar around the cord.

2. Lighting in U-shape area. Currently have a single large fixture (we replaced about 5 years ago).
Do we add recessed lights to that? My husband isn't totally excited about removing it and resheetrocking the ceiling so I need to know if that is happening or not.

We would be interested in an LED recessed or other green-friendly product, but we don't have weeks to wait for them to come if they need ordered. Have all the box stores, IKEA and some specialty lighting stores in town. Noticed you all talk about the CR or Cree LED lights. I can try to look for these when I shop.

3. We are doing wood shelves in the glass cabinets because we will be putting dayware in them and using them regularly (with kids). They have glass doors on either side--trying to lighten up the space since I can't afford to get rid of these cabinets entirely. My husband thought he would just put the same under cab lights under each level unless you have another idea?

I know I should have worked this piece out sooner. Thanks so much for your understanding and help.

Photobucket

Sink is under window in photo:

Ceiling light

ceiling light 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for U-shaped Kitchen

The CR6 lights can be purchased at HomeDepot and the RT6 at Lowes.

As for lighting the glass cabinet, you can use LED UCL lighting or the phantom lighting system.

Take some time to consider the lighting needs and desires since a typical remodeling project will take a considerable amount of time and resources and the end results should work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: phantom lighting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here