Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen light box

Posted by chardonnaykj (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 13:11

I need help with my kitchen light box. It is huge 8'x5' wooden with crown molding and is directly over my cooktop island. It is the first step in my kitchen remodel. My plan is to take out the box and replace it with a island pendant and place about 8 recessed can around the perimeter for general lighting. My DH feels this is not cost effective and wants to leave the box intact and avoid the cost of a celing redo and additional amps. We thought about sheetrocking the entire bottom and hang the pendant from the box. He says we can add cans in the corners of the box to provide general lighting. We have undercabinet lighting, a can over sink, and light over kitchen dining table. I am concerned about the looks of spot lights shooting down/out from the corners. I am open to any ideas someone might have. I tried to post pics but not having luck with my usual cut and paste method :( Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen light box

Ditch the box and tell hubby he is next...

o

I think your intuition is correct that spot lights from the corners would not look great.

o

yeah, box is gone! Found a oil rubbed track light set I love and will place two along with an island pendant tomorrow...getting excited

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here