Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a Photocell/clock timer suggestions

Posted by ron-bc (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 12:43

We are "doing" the stairs, driveway, curbing, landscape lighting renos.
We are looking for a photocell activated timer that has a programmable "turn off" timer. IE on at dusk, off at 1:00 am...
Is something like this made?
The lighting store people don't seem to know in my town, and the info on the websites isnt that clear.
If you have one, or know,could you let me know what you have please!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a Photocell/clock timer suggestions

Need more info. There are landscape transformers that can be set up that way but you also seem to have indoor loads - "stairs". How do you propose to get a photocell on that load? More common is an astronomic wall switch that knows when dusk is and can turn off at a preset time. Intermatic is one company that makes these.

o
RE: Looking for a Photocell/clock timer suggestions

Ron-bc-

We carry both photocells and timers for low voltage landscape lighting transformers. From your description (driveway, curbing, stairs) I am assuming you mean your outdoor low voltage landscape lighting (i.e. outdoor stairs). If this is the case you have a low voltage transformer mounted outside an out timers and photocells pull into the transformers. Our transformers are photocell/timer ready (built-in ports)--I don't know what kind of transformer you have.

With a timer and photocell you can have it turn on when it gets dark but always shut off at a preset time (like midnight) by the timer.

Another option is the new Atstronomic timer (you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot for about $29). They are digital timers that adjust automatically to changing sunset times and daylight savings times (you enter in your zip code or area code) -- this eliminates the need for a photocell, but unlike a mechanical timer it adjusts for changing sunset times (also has a battery back-up so you don't lose your programs from a power outage.

Below is a link to our photcells, timers and transformers.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: landscape lighting transformers, timers, photocells

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here