Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overhead lights in new construction

Posted by wendyb (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 12:22

I am looking at a condo new construction and the trend from builders seems to be ceiling fans and/or overhead lights in bedrooms and living spaces.

I am not a fan of ceiling fans (no pun intended), but I am wondering if overhead lights are a new design trend. (maybe I should be in different forum..?)

My preference at the moment is to ask for these lights to not be included and to request switched outlets instead.

Am I just sticking to what I know by habit? Am I missing a new trend? What are pro's and con's?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overhead lights in new construction

No new trends.

Homes in the 60's were built with/ without overhead lights in rooms.

Overhead light advantages
1. Wiring in place for ceiling fan/ overhead light. Lesser need to re-wire.
2. Some people prefer this.

Overhed light disadvantages
1. Need design input to avoid incorrect positioning, insufficient lighting.

Switched outlets
assume the use of floor/ table lamps.
Switched outlet advantages
1. Lighting positions can be changed very easily - longer cord/ different outlet.
2. Bulbs can be more easily changed than ceiling mounted lights.

Disadvantage
1. Some people may dislike not having an overhead light fitting.
2. Exposed cords that could add to room clutter/ become a tripping hazard.

If you're intending to stay for a relatively long period and can specify what you want, do something that will work for you in the long term.

o
RE: overhead lights in new construction

yup. good food for thought.

I suppose the exposed cord issue would be an even bigger concern if the furniture "floats" in the middle of the room. Now that I think about it, I once saw an outlet built into a hardwood floor. That could be a real difficult decision because furniture placement would have to conform to that outlet long term.

Also, if I don't have to get overhead lights or ceiling fans, my lighting allowance will go further on the fixtures that I do have to get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here