Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need high-powered snake light

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 12:10

Not really a home lighting question, but I am looking for a snake light that throws off 10 foot candles at a distance of 6 feet. I'm not finding those kind of specs when I google around for high-illumination lights.

Can anyone point me toward a source, type of bulb, recommended spec/configuration, or anything else to help me get a light that will meet my needs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need high-powered snake light

"10 foot candles"

No longer a commonly used unit.

o

It is in elevator code. Any help with converting it to what the rest of the world uses?

o

It is no longer used much since it is not adequate for defining luminous intensity reliably.

You might be able to convert it to lumens, but the geometry involved make s it a less than simple issue.

o

1 foot candle is ~ 10.764 lux.

Possible alternatives could be
1. Using a standard work light.
2. Mounting a high output light such as an Olight SR90 on a tripod.
3. Building your own using high output LEDs (eg - SST-50/ 90, Cree XM emitters). There are people on candlepowerforums who build their own high output lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful formlas for lighting

o

Or one lumen per square foot.

An isotropic (uniform in all direectins) one-candela light-source emits a total luminous flux of exactly 4π lumens (since a spheres is 4π steradians).

A partially covered source would emit a differnet amount.
Block off one half of the light and the output becomes a flux of 2π lumens.

Is this for commercial work?

o

This is for an elevator car top and I just want an inexpensive light that's bright enough. No desire to build our own. So if I found a light that was 410 lumens or 11 lux, that would emit 10 foot candles at the source and then, presumably, dissipate over distance?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here