Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple or pink tinge on MR16 12v 50 watt bulbs?

Posted by norwega (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 11:59

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement bulb for our pendants. I've tried GE and Phillips and GE has a purple tinge, and Phillips has a pink tinge to it. The one white light bulb (farthest from the fridge) we have just says "made in Germany" so I can't tell what brand to buy.
anyone else have this problem?

the pendants are visible from the street, so it really looks dumb to have pink or purple lights in the kitchen!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple or pink tinge on MR16 12v 50 watt bulbs?

Strange that the GE Constant Color looks so purple. I have not known those bulbs to look that way. One solution might be to use an MR16 with a coated back, silver would my choice. That coating blocks all the backlight from the bulb. It will however only provide light down. There are also some specialty MR16 bulbs on the market that are rated 4600K which is very cool. Try getting some GE's from a lighting showroom, they should be in a small silver box. Sometimes there is actually a difference in the quality of the bulb that is made for the commercial market (showrooms will have them) and the ones in those retail packs you have. Perhaps the manufacturer of the fixture can tell you what the bulbs is if it came with the fixture. Glad to help with the coated back bulbs or the 4600K if you can't find them locally. ginger@yourlightsite.com, if you need me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My web site

o
RE: purple or pink tinge on MR16 12v 50 watt bulbs?

found the bulb that works. I had bought bulbs there when we first put up the monorail, but didn't remember, as it was 2 years ago, (in Seattle area - Kelsun Distributors). Just in case anyone else has the problem, what I found works is a Halogen Reflector MR16 by Ushio... it was about $3.50 per bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here