Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Lighting for Galley Kitchen

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 11:54

This is a crosspost on the recommendation of folks in the kitchem forum.

My kitchen is a small, narrow galley and has an old fluorescent ceiling fixture that I would like to replace. Having never replaced such a fixture, I am having a hard time at what kind of replacement to look. The fixture must be ceiling hugging; ceiling is too low for chandelier type (even though that is what I would love to have).

Your help in pointing me in the right direction will be very much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Lighting for Galley Kitchen

The first step is to figure out how much lighting is needed.
Assuming ~ 35 lumens per sq ft, a space that is 8' x 12' would require 35 * 8 * 12 = 3360 lumens.

If it is a rectangular shaped box using old T12 tubes, you could either upgrade the existing fixture to use T8 tubes with electronic ballasts.

If you have a circular shaped fixture that you intend to replace, T8 fluorescents are the cheapest option.

Or you could spring for a Cree CR series troffer which is dimmable but comes with a significantly higher upfront cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cree troffer

o

Thanks, davidtay. See kitchen, cabinets and lighting measurements below. Also, I didn't mention that the upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. No window; however, a doorway at each end of the galley. The current lighting fixturen is 48" long with 4 tubes.

Kitchen Measurements
14� 9" long
10� 1" wide
36" deep lower cabinets/counters on each wall
13" deep upper cabinets
40" walkway opening on one end
32" doorway on other end

So that evidently means I need 5250 lumens. Is that correct?

I did find a place fairly near me that sells the Cree line. Will check regarding cost.

I looked at the Home Depot and Lowes websites and the T8 tubes appear to be very expensive, as well as the electronic ballasts, but I may be looking at them incorrectly. This is all new to me.

o

About right.

The total amount can be divided up between under cabinet and the main fixture if you want.

T8 fluorescent lighting is pretty inexpensive especially when you get 2 - 4 tube fixtures.

Is dimming important? If so, dimmable electronic ballasts are relatively rare (i.e. - not available in either HD or Lowes) and expensive. In which case, the CR24 becomes competitive.

o

walnutcreek,

What are all of your reasons for replacing the existing fixture? Would a more attractive, instant-on no-hum fluorescent fixture do, or are you trying to improve the light distribution, or just get away from fluorescent?

o

My initial thought was to get rid of the fluourescent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here