Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranger481vs_gw

Running wires for undercab lighting

ranger481vs
11 years ago

I am looking for advice on how I can run the wiring for undercab lighting in my kitchen. All upper cabinets will have lighting strips underneath. See the attached drawing. Each wall is about 12ft long. I will be using low voltage LED strip lighting, so I have a transformer to deal with. I also have a window to get around. Ideally, the transformer would be located inside the cabinet above the microwave, but that is far away from the preferred switch location. Can I run LV wiring that far and not have issues with powering the light strips? Otherwise, I'm thinking the transformer will need to be in the cabinet above the light switch.

Other things to note:

- The upper cabinets can be easily removed so I am able to access the underside of the soffit, which might be a good place to run wires. The is also space between the back of the cabinets and the wall which would allow room for running LV wires.

- In the cabinet above the microwave, there is an electrical outlet that is tied into the lighting circuit. Use to be hooked up to range hood. I was hoping to tie into this as my power source for the undercab lighting. (note: The micro is on it's own dedicated circuit)

- The ideal switch location is on the opposite wall.

Comments (4)