Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen under cabinet lighting

Posted by emaemes (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 11:39

Hi All....Hope you can help me....I want to have under cabinet lighting put in my kitchen....Just to give you info.,
Cabinets are wood, counters are black granite, and backsplash is a blue glass tile....The kitchen is part of the living space....the kitchen is a very dark galley...it has 6 pot lights in the ceiling....My problem is in choosing which kind of light to go with under cabinet....I need something that throws light onto counters but also illuminates the tile backsplash....the backsplash only comes to life with light on it.....therefore I don't want a light that only goes straight down....I want light that goes down and also spreads out.i..
I'm considering LED, but from what I'm reading, it only throws light straight down......HELP ! Need advice.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen under cabinet lighting

Did you look at the linked thread?

It is a common misconception that LEDs are very directional.

Here is a link that might be useful: Led ucl continuation

o

Thanks Davidtay....
I looked at the link you sent me and I will show to my electrician...who will certainly hopefully understand more than I do......I am strictly a lay person when it comes to this.....need to have everything in plain English.....I gather from your answer that I am not right about led lighting.....There are fixtures there now (not led) that throw beautiful light but they don't work on a regular basis....they're going out of here......Boy am I lost...My fear is that I will replace them and hate the light......Yikes..

o

I DIYed a whole showroom full of Hafele LED tape lights, including uplighting, and in-cabinet lighting. It's easy, and it puts out plenty of light to highlight a backsplash, and to provide task lighting for the counter.

o

Live Wire Oak
Thank you , thank you...!!
Perfect.....Perfect lighting...just what I need....
Will take notes and show to electrician......

o

Live wire oak...did you mean strip lights? I went to Hafele website and do not see tape lights?

o

You can get similar lights from superbrightleds.com, environmentallights.com and other places.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here