Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WAC invisiled tape for kitchen under-cab

Posted by Marg2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 11:04

Our local lighting store had these and they looked fine. I've searched for previous mentions on Garden Web, and those who have mentioned them by name seem happy. My concerns are:

an online review on another site said that the connections are fragile and broke easily. Anyone have similar experiences?

are these actually bright enough for task lighting? We plan on using these as undercabinet lighting in our kitchen?

Our cabinet widths are 30 and 36. The lighting store suggested buying 2 1ft lengths and two 2" lengths for the 30-inch cabinet and centering the lights under the cabinet. Will the 2 "unlighted" bits at either end seem dead, or will the light spread. The lighting guy didn't seem to think it was a problem.

Not sure what to do here. Worried that I'm jumping on the LED bandwagon without actually thinking through the utility. (And I have to keep reminding myself that I grew up in a house with dark green avocado formica countertops and where the only light was a hanging fixture over the kitchen table, and we were quite happy, thank you very much.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WAC invisiled tape for kitchen under-cab

I looked at them ~ 3 years ago and decided to go with product from environmentallights/ photonier/ superbrightleds/ nora lighting.

The connectors are relatively fragile compared with the standard 3 prong wire plugs given the size. The invisiled tape lights are flexible but should never be treated like rope/ nylon string. These are lights that you don't keep fiddling with after installation.

There are more options available today (12V/ 24V DC and 120V AC).

You may find the following discussion thread helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL DIY

o
RE: WAC invisiled tape for kitchen under-cab

We are putting in LED task lighting under the cabinets. They are inexpensive and provide good lighting. They are 24 volt and come in three finishes and four lengths. 6, 12, 22, and 30 Kitchler I believe and are dimmablle. We chose stainless steel because they reflect better on the granite. Something our lighting architect said works best. They are not easily visible to the eye. They are less expensive than the design pro LED discs that we got for the range area. Those are 200.00 and the others are 107.00 with contractor price. Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here