Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under cabinet lighting questions-newbie- confused!

Posted by wolverine2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 11:02

Hi,
I've read some under-cabinet lighting threads but am so confused by them- I need some advice in non-technical language, and our electrician is coming tomorrow so we need to figure out what we're doing ASAP. I apologize for the really basic questions!

I read about Armacost LED tape lights on a kitchens thread, and thought it looked pretty low-cost and easy to do ourselves, and I like the idea of LED. But I have a couple questions if we did this...

Would we need a separate outlet and DC power supply for each separate place we need to put the lighting? (For example, we have 30" cabinets on each side of the range that aren't connected to any other cabinets- would we need two separate outlets and DC supplies?) If yes, then we would need 4 separate outlets/DC supplies to light all of our counter space. Our cabinets go almost to the ceiling (about 2 in crown molding at the top) so that would mean the outlets would have to be in the cabinet, right? One of the cabinets has glass doors, so that might complicate things.

Would I be able to have one switch to turn on all of those lights or would I have to have 4 separate switches (which I don't want)?

My electrician thought it sounded much easier to just hardwire for lights and not deal with the low voltage thing, but I haven't even looked into that. Would that be better? If so, any lower-cost recommendations?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under cabinet lighting questions-newbie- confused!

Ok, I think I've figured out my own answers by pouring over some websites- I think we would put them on 2 different power sources, with wires going through the wall behind the range. It also looks like the Armacost RibbonFlex Pro can be hard wired, though I'm not sure what's involved in that and if there is an advantage one way or the other?

o

Did you look at the following link?

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL continuation

o

I did look at that link, and it helped, but I was still confused. But I ended up calling Armacost, and they were incredibly helpful and sent me a UCL design for my kitchen and told me exactly what to buy and how to wire it. So we're putting in one power source and are hard wiring it and I know exactly what to tell the electrician today. And it will cost under $200!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here