Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how does LED undercabinet lighting work with hard wires?

Posted by colickyboy (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 10:57

I have no idea how this all works and it's so hard to find info on this. Plus, I know nothing about electricity. Can anybody help?

I have 5 areas under kitchen cabinets that my GC has wires coming out of the wall (2 wires in each area). Do I still use a transformer to bring the 120v current down to the low voltage needed for the LED light bars? If so, how does it lower the current at each of the 5 hard-wired locations?

Specifically, I'm looking at the 100W power supply (which I assume is the same thing as the transformer?) at environmentallights.com b/c I'm interested in the light bars that they and Photonier sell. How does this work with wires coming out of walls in several different locations?

My GC doesn't think the power supply/transformer will work with the various hard wires. I have no idea...I thought it would. The environmentallights sales rep first told me it would work but then stopped helping me. Can anybody please help an electricity noob?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how does LED undercabinet lighting work with hard wires?

Yes you do. The light bars will be on a separate circuit.

David

o

You will need a separate transformer at each location if you plan on connecting to the 120v hard lines. If possible, you can run the low voltage lines in the walls and eliminate the need for additional transformers. If you are still at a stage this is an option, it will save you a little bit of $$. Check the environmental lights website, their instruction guide details everything you will need.

o

Or you can use 120V LED fixtures with built-in drivers which will work with the wiring you have.

o

scottdim - unfortunately, the wires are already in and the drywall is already up. sounds like i'll have to do a separate transformer at each location.

dim4fun - which 120v LED fixtures do you recommend? which store/web site?

o

Philips Color Kinetics or Alkco or Maxim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Kinetics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here