Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed fixture for tight space

Posted by jockewing (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 10:52

I have an electrician cominog out to my house this evening to give me an estimate on the cost of installing recessed in several rooms of my house. Last night as I was looking at where I wanted them installed, I noticed that one of the key areas is actually under the part of the attic that has "flooring". My attic is quite large and due to the pitch in the roof, you can easily stand straight up. The section where there is plywood "flooring" where most of the boxes and odds and ends are stored is right above the area I described above.

I measured the distance from the sheetrock to the top of the joist and it is just short of 6 inches. Are there cans that will fit in an area with this depth so that I can keep my "floor" in the attic?

I am planning on going with 6 inch Halo or Juno with R30 incandescents in most of the lights, but I figure I will probably have to drop to a 4" for these spots under the floor.

Anyone with a similar experience? Luckily, the other spots where I want lights don't have this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed fixture for tight space

Probably not. Most cans are at least 6" in height.

How about alternatives like troffer fluorescent lighting or LED panels? The LED panels could cost more than troffer lighting. However, it could be easier to install.

o

Actually, I found both Halo and Juno cans that are 5 1/2 inches or even less. The only drawback is you usually can't use as much wattage, but for the area these are going, that will work for me.

o

I use these all the time. They are only 3 1/2" in height.

Here is a link that might be useful: SL12050TL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here