Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Recessed fixture for tight space

jockewing
13 years ago

I have an electrician cominog out to my house this evening to give me an estimate on the cost of installing recessed in several rooms of my house. Last night as I was looking at where I wanted them installed, I noticed that one of the key areas is actually under the part of the attic that has "flooring". My attic is quite large and due to the pitch in the roof, you can easily stand straight up. The section where there is plywood "flooring" where most of the boxes and odds and ends are stored is right above the area I described above.

I measured the distance from the sheetrock to the top of the joist and it is just short of 6 inches. Are there cans that will fit in an area with this depth so that I can keep my "floor" in the attic?

I am planning on going with 6 inch Halo or Juno with R30 incandescents in most of the lights, but I figure I will probably have to drop to a 4" for these spots under the floor.

Anyone with a similar experience? Luckily, the other spots where I want lights don't have this problem.

Comments (3)