Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for an Outbuilding

Posted by jim-ne (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 10:37

Hello- we just put up a pole barn and I need help calculating how much light we will need to install this fall. The building is 40' x 80' and the trusses are 18' high. It is primarily for storage and I plan on having a shop in the corner to crank away on projects. My question is how much light (lumens or footcandles) do I need per square foot? From researching it looks like a typical kitchen is 30-40 lumens per sq ft, living rooms are 15-20 lumens so I *think* 10-15 lumens per sq ft sounds reasonable. From this I think I need 40x80x10 (size * lumens) and get 32000 lumens on the floor. Since my lightning will be 18' above how do I calculate how much light do I need to install? I plan on using HPS fixtures and my best guess is 8 fixtures pumping out 400/600 Watts/ea (50000 to 90000 lumens per fixture).

Thanks-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for an Outbuilding

We use foot candles for most calculations and like 75 for 'shop work', 100 for 'fine work'. Fine work is something like sewing. For storage maybe 35 foot candles will be OK, but try for 75 for the shop area.

We normally take a drawing to the supply house and tell them what our needs are and they do a take off for free. It will include types of fixtures and location. We rarely use exactly what they provide, but it is a good start to get things where we want them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here