Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height of Pendant Lighting Over Island

Posted by gretagargo (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 10:00

I just installed a hanging track lighting system over my 8ft. kitchen island. I need advice on how high above the island I should hang the 2 hanging pendants. I don't want the pendants to be in my way and probably prefer them on the higher side since I am afraid of them being too low. If it matters, I have 4 stools across and one on each end. There are also 3 small bells on the track. The island is a plain slab in black without cooking or sink area.
Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height of Pendant Lighting Over Island

The taller of you and your DH should stand and the pendant should be at least 2" over the taller ones head. That is how I did it. For 8 ft ceilings, I would say that the maximum height of the pendants from the ceiling should be 20" - the 20" includes the height of the lighting fixture itself plus the hanging thread. I did the same for my dining table -- although dining table pendants can hang lower I kept them high -- and DH's head is still below it and doesn't hit it. If you want to be safer, you could do a maximum of 18". Personally I like 20", it gives you at least 6 ft of clearance unless either of you is 6 ft!

o
One more thing

One more thing -- the 20" should include height of the track as well. My ceilings are 8 ft 4", and I set the maximum height of my pendants at 26" which includes track height, height of hanging thread, and height of pendant fixtures themselves. It was perfect sizing.

o
RE: Height of Pendant Lighting Over Island

Here's how DH & I solved this dilemna: We stood up closest to where the pendants hang. I held the tape measure to his head. We added a couple inches in case he's wearing a hat or I've got my hair up. That's where they are. The closest to the lit surface without hitting either of our heads. Not so scientific, I was really looking for a formula myself, but that is what worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here