Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So if you don't want all pot lights and can't do undercabinet ...

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 9:16

HI all,

Please help us with the lighting plan for our kitchen. We don't want all pot lights as they are downlights and we want to mix up the lighting more. Also, I dislike having pot lights positioned right over a person's head (can cast shadows over the person). We don't have any spot for undercabinet lighting as the two sets of upper cabinets go to the counter. We also have to design around a large island light which does have LED lighting under the hood but contributes to ceiling clutter.

Our ceilings are only 8 foot (which is standard in Canada). Where it shows ceiling fixture, we will be limited to flush or semi-flush. I am hoping the pendants we hang over the clean-up sink and in front of the two windows will be multi-directional and not only down lights.

Can you please let me know what needs to be reworked? I have also include an elevation picture of the kitchen. There is only a half wall behind the clean-up sink not the full wall shown. Also, there is a bigger window header over each window due to a LVL support beam over one so lots of room for a light up there.

Thanks in advance!

Carol

P.S. I did post this plan in the decorating forum too for their opinion too. However, I figured you lighting experts would bring a different take on the plan so hope it is okay to cross-post.

photo kitlightplan_zps9b0c8dca.jpg

photo kitoverallview_zps951f644d.jpg

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 9:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So if you don't want all pot lights and can't do undercabinet

How about cove lighting? Below is a link to an implementation using cornices to hide the actual lighting.

Pendants could be cheaper to purchase and install though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighted cornices

o

That is one fabulous solution!! Thanks! Where did you find this company? They are located in Turkey. We also called Phantom lighting to see if they had a similar product, and they had nothing similar that would work on 8 foot ceilings. So, yes we will try to see whether we can get this product. Hopefully, they have a North American Distributor.

If the cost or logistics are prohibitive, we will go back to the using more ceiling fixtures.

What did you think of the plan otherwise?

Carol

o

There were other vendors before with similar products.

The only part really necessary is the translucent cornice system. They are using high output led strips similar to those sold by environmental lights, superbrightleds, ...

An alternative is to run high output LEDs on-top of a normal cornice system offset slightly.

NuWorld lighting may have something.
http://www.nu-worlddistribution.com

Assuming just pendants and cans, getting the desired amount of illumination at night may be a challenge.
Then there is the pattern on the ceiling... A more regular pattern would be more desirable.

o

I wish I understood when you said:

"An alternative is to run high output LEDs on-top of a normal cornice system offset slightly.".

We will call Nuworld tomorrow too to see if they have a comparable product like the lighting company from Turkey.

Our light plan shows 3 regular ceiling fixtures. The ones in front of the window could be up and down casting pendants. The ones over the sink and big one over the island I assume task down lights.

I can't see I would be bothered by inconsistent cove light shadows. I think the idea is worth exploring carefully, especially considering we won't be able to have under cab lighting and given the lower ceilings limit up light fixtures. From what I understand cove lighting is a very good way to get ambient/general room lighting.

Carol

o

Perhaps the following would be more helpful

http://www.invitinghome.com/Indirect_Lighting/Indirect_Light_List_A.htm

o
another vendor

Carol,

Following is another vendor of indirect lighting products.

Here is a link that might be useful: cove lighting + more

o
vendor in Canada

One more ...

Here is a link that might be useful: elite trim works

o

davidtay,

I very much appreciate all your links. We were busy with a cabinet order yesterday, but are back working on this lighting puzzle later today. I am very intrigued by the idea of kitchen cove lighting. Glad I posted.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here