Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzz2_gw

Has anyone heard of Alliance Outdoor Lighting?

buzz2
10 years ago

I have received a few quotes for landscape lighting around a new pool/patio. Two contractors priced out Alliance Lighting fixtures with transformers (less $$) and one chose Unique Lighting Systems (more $$). I have found a lot on the web about Unique and they seem to be well respected. However, I can't seem to find much about Alliance. Maybe I'm not searching the right way. One of the contractors offered to price out Cast Lighting items but then he came back with Alliance in the quote.

Does anyone know about or have experience with Alliance Lighting products, specifically path lights and bullet lights? Is it a respected company and make decent, durable products? What are the major differences between the cheaper and more expensive lighting fixtures? I won't go for the cheaper products if they aren't going to last.

What about Cast Lighting? Do they make good landscape lighting products? I'm thinking of having that contractor I mentioned price out with Cast ( I'm guessing it will be more money).

Thanks

Comments (6)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I found a good bit of info online for Alliance and Cast. I think it's going to come down to what color and design you want, plus how much you're willing to spend.
    If you live in an area that gets salt spray, then you will most likely want to go with a metal and finish that can handle it.

I have some of the less expensive outdoor fixtures and the things I've noticed is exposed screw heads rusting, one fixture that has an adjustment for angle doesn't hold the set angle, and on a few fixtures the light bulbs burn out frequently.

Have the contractors quote on all the styles you're considering and also ask to see the product so you can see/feel the difference. Most suppliers have a showroom where you can inspect the items.

• buzz2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you annz.

Any other comments about Alliance Outdoor Lighting products?

Has anyone actually used Alliance? I'm interested to see if anyone has personal experience witb this product.

• PRO
    Art Garden Design
    4 years ago

Hello buzz2,

Alliance is very similar in appearance and quality to Unique Lighting. The biggest difference is the name brand. Unique has been around for a very long time and deemed as the best outdoor lighting company. Many contractors swear by Unique lights and will not use any other company. In my experience they are both comparable to each other, the biggest difference with Unique is the bulb comes separate, so there is an extra charge and technical work. Many people like this option, because it allows for the opportunity to change colors of the bulb, for example for the holidays. As annz commented it really is up to our budget. My last comment is to be minimal with the amount of path lights you use, and focus more on up lights, down lights and wash lights. Path lights often detract from the ambient night lighting. Remember the magic is to feel like there is no light fixture, just illumination. Best of luck, Alana Corpuz

artgardendesign.net

• nelsonj6103
    3 years ago

I have Alliance lighting, the consumer is not able to purchase these lights from wholesalers. They are expensive, compared to Amazon or big box stores (home depot etc.) the spot lights have two o-rings to seal the lights, one of mine has accumulated moisture inside the lens after 6 months

. I used silicone on the o-rings but did not help. Will be calling my contractor

• HU-960291530
    3 years ago

In 2013, I had a contractor install several path and bullet lighting fixtures close to the house; along front, side & back walkways; and around the patio itself. The contractor swore by and used 'Alliance' lighting fixtures and 'Cast' transformers. Alliance fixtures are made of quality heavy-duty brass, are NOT cheap, and have a Lifetime Warranty. If you want to install them yourself, though, you can only purchase them through distributors. In 2020, I bought and installed (myself) four (4) alliance risers to raise up lights located in or near shrubs that had grown up to and/or slightly above the lighting hoods. Regardless of the brand name, make sure you use LED vs halogen bulbs. LEDs are efficient, last a long time, and won't get hot and melt the thick plastic light diffusers on which the hoods rest. I haven't have ANY problems with the Alliance fixtures. And, I'm satisfied enough with Alliance that I'm about to have additional lighting installed (Bluetooth (BT) moonlights, large bullet lights, & additional small bullet lights) in my large front shrub bed and around the entire parameter of the remainder of my lot which is bordered by large trees. Again, Alliance is not cheap, but you always want to get what you pay for and not look back.

• PRO
    Daisy Design
    8 months ago

My company has been selling and installing both Alliance and Cast for over 15 years. Both have lifetime warranties and IMO worth every penny. Jeannette@daisydesign.ca