Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone answer anncamp's question swagging a mini chandalier?

Posted by maggie200 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 2:49

I have the same question -Swagging a mini chandalier from a junction box. She worded it so well and we both need help. Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone answer anncamp's question swagging a mini chandal

From a technical perspective it can be done. However, there are other considerations that could rule it out.

For instance, condensation may trickle down the wire into the junction box depending on how things are set up.

o

davidtay, thank you for answering. I really want a chandelier in the walkin closet. the juction box is overhead of the doorway. with that consideration, is it possible?

o

Yes, it is possible. I presume that the wire will not get pinched by a door.

You will need to
1. Change the lamp cord so that it is long enough.
2. Install a mount / bracket in the ceiling that will be able to hold up the chandelier.

Depending on the situation, it may be cost effective to run all the necessary electrical wiring to the mounting box.

o

Great answer. Thank you a thousand times for the solutions.

o

"I really want a chandelier in the walkin closet."

Unless the chandelier has enclosed bulbs it is a non-starter in a closet.

Closet lighting rules are rather strict to prevent fires.

o

Oh, I didn't know that. It is still a work in progress and will take your advice. thanks, brickeye

o

The closet rules for lighting are very restrictive to limit fir possibilities.

One of the big requirements is no open incandescent bulbs.

Even the position of light fixtures is restricted under the NEC (no shelves or hanging space below the light is the general intent).

Clothing is actually still reasonably flammable, and a closed closet it the last place you want a fire to start.

It might take a while to be noticed and result in a large fire and extensive damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here