Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low wattage for cans

Posted by Michaeljc70 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 1:13

I have a couple areas in my house (hallways) where there are too many recessed cans. I dont want to remove them and cant use dimmers.

My question is are there any can-type bulbs (I dont want somethingthat will look silly) that are really low wattage (or I guess more accurately, low brightness) ? I am thinking like in incandescent like 20-30 watts?

This post was edited by Michaeljc70 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 1:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low wattage for cans

Led lights like the CR6 use - 9watts.

o

Yes, but those are about as bright as a 50 or 60 watt incandescent light.

o

An option would be using the 40w equivalent bulb by cree.

o

I might try one. I still think it will be too bright. There are 5 cans in the one hall and 3 in the other. I kind of prefer just enough light so that you don't trip and kill yourself.

I use dimmers everywhere. The problem is these are 4 and 3 way switches on these and there is also a sconce that can't be dimmed.

o

Why can't you use three way dimmers?

o

I have Lutron dimmers in my house that cost around $40 for the 3-way and it would mean 6 of them which is more than I want to spend. Plus installing them. Plus there is a light on the circuit that cannot be dimmed (in addition to the cans).

o

You could either have one dimmer and 2 switches (4 way) for the circuit without the sconce that cannot be dimmed.

Or you could have a Caseta dimmer + pico switches mounted in wall for the circuit that can be dimmed.

Why can't the sconce be dimmed? Is it CFL?

o

There are sconces that use an antique-style bulb that are only 20 watts, and that cannot be dimmed (well, it can, but it is useless dimmed).

As I understand it, if I were to go with 2 switches and a dimmer, you have to know the wiring- the dimmer can't just be put anywhere.

I also don't really need dimming. It is a hallway. I need 1 set level of reasonably low light.

o

A dimmer just replaces one of the switches. Doesn't matter which one. I usually only need low lighting in my hallway too, so it is normally dimmed, but I need more light when I vacuum the hallway or otherwise have to clean the floor.

o

I don't believe that is correct that a dimmer can replace ANY switch. They are not wired the same. There is one that goes to the light and that is the one that needs to be replaced.

o

Since the discussion has turned to switch wiring...
Depending on your wiring, that could be possible (challenging) for a traditional wired multi-way setup. It's easy to mess up a multi-way circuit, so the easiest approach is to leave things be unless/ until problems develop.

With wireless switches such as Lutron's Caseta, Levity's LevNet (enOcean), you just need one switch wired into the circuit. The other switches/ remotes just talk to that master switch.

If you're planning on having a simplified switching setup, a wireless setup as described above or a Home Automation system - Lutron's RadioRA2/ Zigbee (Control4) would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: dimmers and multi-way switches

o

You could use a 5 watt CFL bulb with a low K value. This would give you a low, warm light (30 watt equivalent).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs on-line

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here