Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlb47

Lighting Plan SOS - photos included

jlb47
14 years ago

Hello, hoping some of you might be able to help me come up with a lighting plan for my kitchen.

The kitchen is on the north side of my house so the light is low and I am only able to get in two 35" windows on either side of my rangetop.

I definitely want the kitchen to be bright and I know I need recessed lighting to get there. Where do I put those cans?

Also - our island is big - 9 1/2 feet long - with the sink and dishwasher housed in there. I'm very attracted to the pendant lighting but it seems like it would be more for looks than for actual light quality. Can I mix in recessed with the pendants to light this big island? Help! I have attached a photo of a neat pendant that I saw in an inn last weekend. The chain can be adjusted to any height. Which is a concern because my husband and I are both tall so I don't want pendants in our faces...

Our ceilings are 8 1/2' and the cabinets will go to the ceiling.

Countertops are blue persia granite, which has a white/creamy background. Cabinets will be white/offwhite.

I hope the photos come through.

Thank you for your help and advice.

jlb47

Comment (1)

• normclc
    14 years ago

I would install 5" recessed cans on 4' centres in the middle of the space between the counter and island,starting in the corner.
    They should have 75Par30/fl in them,with a clear alzak, or haze trim.
    The island can take 3 pendants, but I would suggest 3 mini-pendants, which will give you excellent light on the counter.
    If the light is diffused, by the glass of the pendant, or better still, covered by a metal shade, you can install them relatively low, and still not bother your line of sight

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!