Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverbulllet2002

Recessed lighting in an older home

We have 3 spaces that need lighting badly.

1. living room, about 12x17, zero overhead lighting, 8' ceilings, weird layout for setting lamps out, big windows but doesn't get a ton of light because of deep eaves
2. smallish kitchen (10x10?) with one cheap IKEA track light, one pendant light over sink, one small north facing window over sink
3. family room (20x11?) with two contractor issue "boob" lights, mostly 8' ceiling except where the ductwork runs along the side of the room; does have windows but doesn't get a lot of natural light (also has that lovely swirled plaster ceiling which we may sheetrock over, if that complicates things).

Our house was built in the 50's, typical split level rambler, and our style is more modern, clean lines, etc., and with the lower ceiling and smallish rooms, I think recessed lighting is the way to go.

I have this idea that I want LED since they are cooler, more efficient and last longer. Reasonable? Possible? Too expensive? Do I need specific cans for the LED's, or just any regular can will work?

How many lights do we need? What size?

How difficult is the install? We're planning on getting an electrician to put in the cans and switches, at least, but I will probably repair the sheetrock myself (hopefully!). I'm thinking we should put dimmers on all of them.

FWIW, the lights will be installed under either a floor, or maybe an attic, depending on the positioning of the lights.
[Report Post]