Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting design for narrow low ceiling living room

Posted by reason2c (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 21:57

I'm in the process of renovating a classic new england cape. It has an 11'x22' back to front living room. The ceilings are only 7' 6". There are two windows on one side of the room, two open doorways to the front hall and kitchen on the other, a door to the porch at the rear, and a fireplace in the front flanked by shelves and windows.

We only just bought the house and have not lived there, but planned to use lighting to make this room feel more welcoming and inviting. We do a fair bit of small group (6-12 people) entertaining, watch television, reading, and laptopping on the couch. The room will also contain my desk, and more bookshelves with a reading space. So I'm particularly interested in advice about what lighting is the most flexible.

I've attached a plan of the room with furniture, as well as a plan without furniture and with our current thoughts on lights. There are a few questions:

1) Is it reasonable to use 5" recessed lights with eyeball trim to light the fireplace and a piece of art hanging over it? Two lights on one dimmer switched near the front hall door.

2) Are 5" recessed downlights reasonable for the desk and reading area? If not, what would be better? Can we put them on a single dimmer switched from the kitchen door, or is three-waying them to a switch by the front door appropriate?

3) In the center of the room, we are considering 4 recessed downlights around the edge of the room, as shown. They would be on a third dimmer. But we have also considered a semi-flush-mount fixture for the center of the room, as alternative. What do people think? If we go with recessed lights, how far from the walls should they be mounted? The ones in the picture are 24" off the walls.

Anything else we should be considering for this living room?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting design for narrow low ceiling living room

How about track lighting to highlight the fireplace?

I would place the recessed lights ~ 30 inches away from the wall in a pattern.

4" recessed can lighting may be nicer.

Are you considering LEDs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here