Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Cree LR6 Question - Dimmer??

karenmaness
13 years ago

I purchased two Cree LR6 LED recessed fixtures to go over my kitchen peninsula. My contractor is familiar with installing recessed lights, but this is the first time he has worked with LEDs. However, my understanding is that installation is pretty simple and not that different from installing more traditional recessed fixtures. He asked me today if we wanted to put our 2 LEDs on a dimmer. I said sure, but then started reading online about making sure LEDs are compatible with the dimmer selected, and about dimming perhaps not being all that impressive with LEDs (i.e. 30% not being all that different from 100%). I found the following statement on a website (can't remember where) and it makes sense:

"This LED downlight is so energy efficient, drawing only 10.5 watts, that youÂll need to make sure that the dimmer you choose has a minimum wattage rating to recognize a load so small, or that there are enough LR6Âs on the dimmer circuit to add up to what your dimmer needs."

So my questions are:

1. With only 2 LEDs on this switch, am I asking for trouble trying to dim? I know Cree publishes a list of recommended dimmers, but has anyone had good luck with any of these, in particular for only 2 lights?

2. Is the "dimmability" of LEDs worth it? In other words, if we go to the trouble to find the right dimmer and install it, is the range of brightness reasonable enough to make it worthwhile?

Thanks!

Comments (3)