Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sigurds_gw

Help! Getting conflicting input on cove lighting.

sigurds
13 years ago

I'm half way through new home construction and have hit a wall with lighting. I have cove lighting going in the master bedroom and powder room, and both rooms have some unusual angles which makes even light spacing a challenge. As well, there will be a 10' x 6' suspended "cloud" in the dining room made of drywall accented by a bunch of concealing lighting so that it will appear illuminated above and from the sides.

My issue is this. My local lighting consultants have recommended the Sea Gull Ambient Low Voltage Linear Lighting system as a solution to the odd angles and spacing issues. However, my electrician says to steer clear of this system because he's heard of problems with the fixtures "popping out", and also warns of an annoying hum emanating from the transformer. He tells of a new type of rope lighting that's just become available and thinks I should opt for that (don't know any details yet). My designer, on the other hand, has a serious aversion to rope lighting and urges me to avoid it altogether for these applications.

Any feedback, advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (6)