Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
truly instant on? cree lr6 and lr4?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 21:03

Hi,

Is it truly an "instant on" when you flip the switch on your CREE LR6s or LR4s? No delay as with CFLs?

I mean, even first thing in the morning, after having been off all night?

I'm starting to work out more of the nitty gritty details of our kitchen remodel, and am investigating whether the CREE LED recessed lights would make sense for us. While *not* CA, we are energy conscious. We saw the LR6 and LR4 on display and think either might work for us. (Our kitchen right now is stuck in the 1950's, so anything more than the current three 60 watt incandescents would be a brightness improvement!).

One thing that annoys me about CFL bulbs is the delay to come on after you flip the switch. That's why we still have the 3 incandescents in the kitchen--tried the CFLs but the delay was really annoying. If the LEDs are going to be just as annoying, then that'll be something to ponder.

Thanks in advance for any anecdotal opinions!
Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: truly instant on? cree lr6 and lr4?

yes. No delay at all.

David

o
Truly instant on LED lighting cree lr6 and lr4?

LED lighting is instantaneous, dimmable and has great design flexibility. I now use under cabinet lighting more frequently than LR6.

o

All of the above is true, and LED bulbs are expensive up front. In the long run perhaps they are not so expensive. For instance look at this LED can bulb. It's $70 up front, but only uses 6 Watts and they last a lot longer than incandescent so depending on the application and user it may be worth it.

o

Hi David, thanks for weighing in!

There's something about the initial light when entering the room--to see where I'm walking--that makes me so hate a delay. I don't mind the delay in places where I'm already in the room with some ambient light, and then want to flick on a particular location for some task. I have another question about the undercabinet lights, though I think I'll start a new thread on that one.

Hi housavvy, thanks for your input.
I really appreciate your point about the up front expense. The person at the lighting place we visited said that going LED was like buying your electricity "up front". That you are spending more earlier, and there will be a payback time at which you reach the equivalent. For home kitchens, he suggested that if we're going to be in the house less than 5 years, to do the lower-priced CREEs (the CR6s, if they come out in time) or not LEDs--because the payback for the lower-priced LEDs would be about 3 years, and then it gets longer the higher in price you get.

Balancing all of those things (time before payback, quality of the light, delay in coming on, etc) is key. I do know that having a delay upon entering the room is a showstopper for me personally, so hearing how things are actually behaving in real life is terrific. :-)

Thanks!
Lee

o

Lee,

Before you start another thread on undercabinet lights, there are already a number in existence, eg
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0311421519150.html?35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here