Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sconces in bedroom?

Posted by Janieful (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 20:26

We are currently in the process of adding on a bedroom, bath, and mudroom to the back of our house. The plans have us only with an overhead light in the bedroom. The room is 12X13. On one wall, there will be a set of two transom windows (put side by side) to accommodate a bed. Because we live in a 1920s bungalow with two stained glass windows up high flanking the fireplace in the living room, we decided to mimic that with the transoms in the new bedroom. They will also be stained glass.

My question is - do you think I should have two sconces on that wall for more mood lighting? We were planning on putting a ceiling fan for the other light. If you think that would be beneficial, where should I put them? Should I put them lower on the wall or on the sides of the window?

For now, the room will be used as extra living space, so there will most likely be a couch on that wall. My thinking is that whatever is there, it will be nice to not have to have a lamp on a side table.

And finally, any ideas for period sconces? In the bathroom next door, we are going to use these school light sconces.
http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=372740#prod-tab-anchor

Would they also look okay in a bedroom? The mudroom will also have semi-flush schoolhouse fixtures.

And does a period ceiling fan even exist? We live in Saint Louis where it is too hot not to put a fan for sleeping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sconces in bedroom?

How about picking a nice looking ceiling fan light fixture and putting it on a dimmer for mood lighting. It's amazing what just dimming the light can do. Then just supplement it with a table and/or floor lamp. Sconces along with a lighted ceiling fan may get visually crowded in a 12x13 bedroom.

o
RE: Sconces in bedroom?

If you want to install two sconces, you may put them on the wall next to the bed, not only add the atmosphere, but also can be used as a night lead light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here