Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janieful

Sconces in bedroom?

Janieful
11 years ago

We are currently in the process of adding on a bedroom, bath, and mudroom to the back of our house. The plans have us only with an overhead light in the bedroom. The room is 12X13. On one wall, there will be a set of two transom windows (put side by side) to accommodate a bed. Because we live in a 1920s bungalow with two stained glass windows up high flanking the fireplace in the living room, we decided to mimic that with the transoms in the new bedroom. They will also be stained glass.

My question is - do you think I should have two sconces on that wall for more mood lighting? We were planning on putting a ceiling fan for the other light. If you think that would be beneficial, where should I put them? Should I put them lower on the wall or on the sides of the window?

For now, the room will be used as extra living space, so there will most likely be a couch on that wall. My thinking is that whatever is there, it will be nice to not have to have a lamp on a side table.

And finally, any ideas for period sconces? In the bathroom next door, we are going to use these school light sconces.

http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=372740#prod-tab-anchor

Would they also look okay in a bedroom? The mudroom will also have semi-flush schoolhouse fixtures.

And does a period ceiling fan even exist? We live in Saint Louis where it is too hot not to put a fan for sleeping.

Comments (2)