Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
12 volt, 3 watt LED pendant bright enough?

Posted by Phronesis (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 20:09

So the pendants I've ordered are 3 watt LED. From what I've been able to discern this is equivalent to a 25watt incandescent bulb.

Is this right? If so, then I'm thinking that this is going to be far too dim for providing the sort of light that I want over a kitchen island. Am I right in this or have I made some sort of error in my thinking?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 12 volt, 3 watt LED pendant bright enough?

A 3 watt Cree produces around 200 lumens, so eight of them would produce nearly the light of a single 100 watt incandescent bulb. How many 100 watt bulbs would it take to light the counter to your satisfaction?

This post was edited by ken_mce on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 22:31

o

I have three 3W LED MR16 bulbs lighting a 6-foot section of countertop, and they provide plenty of light for my purposes. Anything brighter would be too much for my application, but this is a personal preference.

o

I have six 12Watt/800 lumen CREE can lights in the 9' ceiling
over my 45x89 island. Maybe 55-60 % of those lumens hit the
island surface. The lighting is appropriate. Like most of my lights, they are on a dimmer, but I turn them all the way up most of the time.

chris.thomas, how high above the counter are your lights? Standard 25.5" deep counter?

o

I believe that you won't provide enough light with these lamps.
Many of the LED pendant fixtures are only good for decorative purposes, not for task lighting

o

I believe that you won't provide enough light with these lamps.
Many of the LED pendant fixtures are only good for decorative purposes, not for task lighting

o

My pendant lights are about 40" above my standard-height countertop. Certainly if they were closer to the ceiling they would not provide enough light! The specs on my MR16s are considerably higher at 290 lumen though (compared to 200 lumen from OP).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here