Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LR4 or Halo 4'

Posted by zztt (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 19:59

Need help to choose between Cree LR4 or Halo 4" for my kitchen remodel. Price is the same for both brands.

The light of LR4 2700K is really warm and I like it a lot. The problem is more a 5" than a 4".

Halo on the other hand is a true 4" and also offer 2700K, yet the reviews here is not very good for Halo. I do have the chance to compare the Cree and Halo 2700K side by side, so that is another problem.

For those who do not like Halo, can you explain the reasons?

Does anyone see the two in person and share your thought? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LR4 or Halo 4'

The Halo LED modules utilize a single exposed LED in the centre of the module. It is uncomfortable looking directly at the light unlike the Cree lamps which utilize a diffuser with an array of LEDs underneath.

The efficacy of the Halo modules is also somewhat lower than Cree.

In addition, you need to purchase the trim ring for Halo. So, the typical total package costs more than Cree, unless you have some compelling reason to replace the trim on the Cree.
Lamp + Housing + Trim Ring (Halo)
Lamp + Housing (Cree)

I was captivated by the output from the Cree lamps (LR6, LR4) when I first saw one (LR6) at Lamps Plus.

When I saw the Halo lamp in operation, I was disappointed and relieved that I had chosen Cree instead.

o
RE: LR4 or Halo 4'

Good stuff as always from davidtay.

Just wanted to point out that the Cree LR4 series does not come with an integral trim ring like the 6 inch models do. You would most likely need to select from an anodized reflector with white trim or all white trim and reflector. They do make a wheat, black and pewter trim but those would probably be a special order for most suppliers.

Also, the H4 series from Halo is fundamentally different from the LR4 series from Cree in that the LED driver is contained in the housing and not in the module. Both of these units require the use of a dedicated housing and Halo makes a new construction and remodel housing (in both IC and non-IC) for their 4 inch lights while Cree only makes a new construction IC housing.

You are right that the Cree product is more of a 5 inch product as well. Still looks more compact than the six inch, but definitely not a true four inch product like the Halo H4 series.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here