Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seagull ambiance vs led uc lights?

Posted by Ginny20 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 18:16

You all helped me decide on Cree CR6 recessed LED instead of the CFL my GC suggested. Now we're discussing the undercabinet lights, and he recommends Seagull Ambiance. Are these better than LED, or just as good for less money? I'm not doing a lot of them - just two banks of cabinets, 48" and 42".
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seagull ambiance vs led uc lights?

I presume these are the low voltage linear lighting?
http://www.seagulllighting.com/Linear-Lighting.htm

If so, they are probably xenon light bulbs that would need replacing at a faster rate than LED bars. Some people also don't like the heat generated by xenon or halogen lights.

I would look into LED options at environmentallights.com.

The reason I suggest environmentallights is because they have both the hardwired 120V and low voltage LED lights to look at as examples.

o

Thanks, davidtay, yes I assume the same thing. He said the xenon wasn't as hot as halogen, and I know some GWers find they are not too warm. I'll check out environmental, though. If the price difference isn't much, I'd rather have the cooler bulbs.

o

Hi,
I have Seagull Ambience, and I like the color of the light, the intensity (I have a 10w bulb about every 8" average) and in 5 years I have only had one bulb go out. In comparison, I've had to replace all of the 20w halogens (4 of them) in the thermador vent hood in that same time period. (and replace a section of in-cabinet rope light 4 times!) The U/C's have more hours of use than the hood.
The warming effect is noted, but it's not perceptible at countertop level, just the cabinet floor. The "heat" hasn't rendered any discoloration to the cabinet bottoms, so it's clearly not in the temp range to bother the wood or the finish.
Casey

o

Thanks, Casey. That's great to know. I need to stop adding a couple of hundred dollars here and there, so if I can stay with the lights in the quote, ie., seagull ambiance, that's a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here