Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of wire for these Holophane pendants?

Posted by bickybee (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 17:54

I recently bought two vintage Lobay holophane pendants for over our kitchen island. They appear to never have been used.

They have a porcelain socket and short wires coming from it. I need to wire them with a type of wire which I can suspend from the ceiling. Each lamp weights over 7 lbs. What kind of wire would I use that would support them? I am trying to avoid using chain with wire threaded through. I think originally these lights were suspended with the wire running through a rigid metal tube. My ceiling is sloped, so I think that would make it more complicated. I like the look of cloth covered wire but don't know where to get it or if it is strong enough.

I don't know how to embed a photo so I've included a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Holophane pendants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of wire for these Holophane pendants?

An alternative solution to the traditional chain would be a aircraft cable suspension system to carry the weight of the lamp.

http://www.griplocksystems.com/lighting/

o

There are only a few types of cordage allowed to carry weight, and they are generally made with a separate strength member.

The copper wire carrying electricity is NOT used to also carry significant weight.

o

Brickeyee, are you saying that there is a cord I can get that will support the weight AS WELL AS carry electricity? Or do I need two different cords, one for electricity and the other to carry the load? Is this cordage specified by a number of some sort? Do you know what I would ask for to support the weight of a pendant weighing over 7 lbs?

Davidtay, I will show my electrician the link to this product, the griplocksystem and see if it's something he can work with. Thanks.

o

There are a number of wire suspension systems of which the griplock system is an example.

The conducting wires are generally not used to bear the weight of the lamp. Instead, there is always a separate load bearing member - rod, chain, wire, ...
For example
http://www.griplocksystems.com/lighting/detail.cfm?Ceiling-Assembly&id=513&cat=5

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here