Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
led recessed lighting wac vs cree vs prima vs bruck vs ???

Posted by chet_everett (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 17:39

Curious how many folks have experience with these products. Traditional lighting suppliers in my area (suburban Chicago) seem to be WAY BEHIND the curve on this technology.

I am extremely reluctant to sink a BIG premium on these if the shop owners seem a clueless on even how to order.

I prefer the look off 4" trim and have read all I can on the various manufacturer's websites about their claims regarding dmming range , color rendering and the like. I do not want to regret spending a lot on any of these and then finding out there is some downsides that will make them unbearable.

While I like the fact that Cree goes through and lists compatible info from Lutron about dimmers I really would like to hear from folks that have these or at least installed them -- do the posts about some users here having experienced strobe like effects really merit concern?

I also have read many conflicting accounts of just how "unnatural" LEDs will look in a "normal" kitchen remodel -- the project I am contemplating is fairly traditional and will include some pendants / chandeliers BUT I know I need several LED under cabinet lights and my thinking is "if it is good enough MAYBE it makes sense to use LED recessed lighting for general illumination".

I am not interested in just the "green" aspects of this so much as a sense that such lighting MAY be on the verge of becoming much more mainstream and I don't want to regret NOT getting a good product if it makes sense...

Thoughts? Experinences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: led recessed lighting wac vs cree vs prima vs bruck vs ???

I have better lighting now with the LED recessed. In the adjacent room, the 55 watt 2D surface mount fluorescent fixture was replaced as the space was enlarged and replaced with 5 LR6 lamps (10.5 watts). The space is now better lit than before and the power consumption is less especially since the lights are slightly dimmed.

The light output is 2700k which is just like a traditional incandescent light.

The 6" cans and lamps are cheaper than the 4" cans + LR4. The Cree xR6 ( where x == L :: x == C) do not require any trim ring.

The CR6 is dimmable to ~5%. You should be able to look at the lights at Home Depot (CR6) or Lamps Plus.

There may be flickering if the dimmer is not matched to the load. ie - the load is too small to be dimmed. For instance the Leviton Vizia RF+ has a min load of 40W which makes it unusable with just 1 or 2 LR6 lamps (total load for 2 - 21 watts).

Lutron dimmers seem to be better than Leviton.

Kitchen+ Sink

o

WOW! The second shot looks AWESOME -- very natural looking color rendering -- did your camera settings have to be tweaked? Or maybe you used a flash...

The main reason I am leaning toward the 4" housing is the additional placement flexibility they afford in a modest sized kitchen with standard height ceilings.

o

I think I tweaked the camera. No flash.
The lights are the same and the 2 pics are just 2 sides of the same room now. The room is 8' in height. You can have fewer lights with the LR6 (650 lumens) than LR4 (~525 lumens).

I thought about the 4" housing but could not justify the price premium. The LR4 has a lower efficiency than the LR6 range too.

Unless someone has a side source for LR4 lamps for a song...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here