Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed lighting - how far from walls?

Posted by lsoh (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 17:37

We are working on the eat-in portion of our kitchen. We will be installing recessed lighting in the eat-in area. (We will also install a separate lighting fixture over the table.) We have already completed the cooking area of the kitchen. In the cooking area, the lighting placement was determined by the counter tops and "washing" the woodwork of the cabinets. However, we do not want to highlight / wash the plain, less than perfect walls in the eat-in area. On the other hand, we don't want to pull the lights so far away from the walls so that the walls are in the dark and the area feels like a cave. So, how far away from the walls should the recessed lighting be? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed lighting - how far from walls?

2.5 to 3.0 feet

o

On the bare wall side, my recessed are 29" from the wall. The wall starts being light about 12 inches from the ceiling. Closer will give you light higher up on the wall but a brighter wall. But what I have doesn't make any difference unless you use the exact same can, baffle and bulb. If you are flexible on your bulbs, you could drop the wattage (lumens) down if the light on the wall blasts you out of the kitchen.

Norm, if you did 3ft and used a 4" fixture with narrow beam halogen how much light would you get on the wall?
Thanks,
Bob

o

Bob
I assumed that these fixtures were for general or ambient light.
I wouldn't use a 4" fixture with a 50PAR20/NFL as this would provide tight beam output and , hence very focused light instead of diffused output.
I prefer 50PAR30/FL or 50par30soft par's for general lighting.
That's what's interesting in lighting design...we all have our own solution, and there's always many correct solutions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here