Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old fashioned switches with automated lighting control system ?

Posted by putschki (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 16:50

We are building a new home what will have Savant automation for many systems, including some lighting control. (I don't need automated lighting but apparently my husband loves the idea of controlling room by room lights when walking out the door or when away on vacation). Our automation sub in SF Bay Area is spec'ing Lutron for our project.

I do NOT want each room to have a "smart" push-button control pad. Call me old school, but it bugs me when I enter a room and have to ponder which button to push to turn on/off/dim a light. I am also not fond of the look/feel of Lutron's "more simple" dimmable light switches...hate the tiny row of LED lights and the lack of tactile on/off experience. Give me a basic toggle (or rocker) on/off switch with a tiny dimmer sidecar--this is what looks and feels most classic and intuitive to me. I wouldn't mind having several such switches on one wall, which I do realize represents "wall acne" to some folks.

Our sub claims that old fashioned switches are not an option for homes that have smart lighting control systems like Lutron. Is this true ?? Thank you if you can debunk or confirm this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old fashioned switches with automated lighting control system

I ended up not going with it, but I think you would really come to like the Lutron Radio RA2 pads, if you have several light zones in a room. You can have the buttons screen with the function. You can also program in multiple ways, like having an "all on" button as well as individual zone control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here