Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6 or 8 recessed 6' lights for kitchen

Posted by titan7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 16:44

My kitchen is 15 feet long x 9.5 feet wide 8 foot tall ceilings, Galley kitchen.

We are thinking (6) will be fine spaced 5 feet apart 30" off the walls. I will put (2) 4" Mr16 Halogens over the sink.

We have to do Title 24 CFL cans or Cree LEDs.

I currently have 3 fixtures two of them have (2) 18watt CFL screw in and the one over the sink has (1) 18watt CFL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6 or 8 recessed 6' lights for kitchen

our kitchen is significantly bigger than that and we only have 6 of the Cree LEDs in there. we also have 2 island pendant lights, 2 halogen over the sink lights, a chandelier over the kitchen table and undercounter lighting. that seems to be enough.

o

The CREE lights are more cost effective than title 24 CFL cans, are dimmable and probably less problematic over time.

o
6 or 8 recessed 6' lights for kitchen

If you're doing title 24 compliant lighting, 8 cans would be appropriate.

You might just have to replace the cans with edison (screw in) bases.

The title 24 CFL cans don't make sense to me.
1. They cost more - the can alone is ~ $60, trim ~ $20 and the bulb is separate (not the $1 variety).
2. Fixing failed ballasts would be a problem as you need access to the can from above.
3. Not dimmable.
4. The light output is lower than CREE LR6 lights.

o

I'd say 8

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here