Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Kelvin should I use in the Kitchen.

Posted by ussmcdonald (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 16:01

I am putting led downlights in my kitchen. I am looking at the CR6-800L. The question is what Kelvin temp should I get. My wife likes the "White" , so I was looking at the 800L-40K is that going to look ok with Coconut white cabinets and dark Hickory floors? When you Dim the LED lights does the Kelvin change?

Also, who is the vender of Choice for the CR6?

James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Kelvin should I use in the Kitchen.

Unlike incandescent bulbs, the color does not change.

Most will get the HD version of the CR6.

I have bought stuff from polar-ray.com

o

I only saw they carried the 65W version I was looking at getting the 90W 800 Lumens, I am just not sure if it is worth the money to go with the higher output. My wife doesn't want it too yellow either. That is why I was wondering how the 4000K would look like.

o

Although I don't have any CREEs, I do have Lighting Science lights in 4000k. IMO, 4000k looks very nice, much nicer than 5000k (I have some Phillips Br30s in 5000k).

If you want to hedge your bets, you could try 3500k. Even better yet, doesn't Polar Ray have a great return policy? Why not order a few examples to try out, and return the ones you don't want before placing your order for the remaining lights?

o

2700k is warm white.
3200 - 3500k would more closely resemble halogen light output
4000k is whiter.
5000k and above is sunlight white.

The Cree CR6 data sheets has more information on spacing and the output in foot candles which would help you decide whether to use higher or lower output versions.

o

I have a lot of the 2700 CR6 (HD version) in our basement, and they really don't look yellow to me at all. I love their color, actually. Very clear and crisp, but not blue at all. I will use the same color in the 800 lumen ones (so sad can't get them cheap like the 575 lumen ones!) in our 10 ft and 9 ft ceilings and then use the 575s for our 8 ft ceilings. (Our electrician has convinced me to go with the higher output ones for the higher ceilings . . . you do save a good bit by having to use fewer fixtures, so that helps offset the cost . . . or so I tell myself)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here