Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you fear a light or fan fixture falling on you at night?

Posted by swampwiz (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 15:15

Often a bed is placed under a hanging light or fan. I sometimes fear that a fan could somehow come unmoored and fall down on me while I am sleeping - although obviously it could happen when wide awake, but the feeling is that before it would come loose, that it would make some strange sounds, and I could get away.

I've seen some fixtures that are shaped like a cone, such that if it were to come loose, it would be a nice spearing weapon!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you fear a light or fan fixture falling on you at night?

Speaking as an experienced electrician, there should be no reason to fear as long as the mounting of the support box is on solid wood. If you are worried about this, place the closer to the bottom of the bed. If it falls, it is only your feet that would be hurt.

o

My fan is at the bottom of the bed. I worry about my cat jumping on me!

o

In 43 years in the lighting business, I have never heard of a fixture or fan falling, if they are installed properly.
If you are worried about it, check the installation, and then have a good night's sleeep

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here