Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I swag a minichandelier from a wall junction box

Posted by anncamp (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 15:09

I wanted a special light for my powder room. Can't seem to find what I want for the wall mount box that has put in (new construction). I have found a very cute mini chandelier I would like to hang. Can I mount it to the junction box on the wall and then swag it to the ceiling. Will it look funny and has anyone done this?
Thanks!
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I swag a minichandelier from a wall junction box

It is technically possible, but there are other considerations which would rule it out. For instance - it would look strange and be potentially unsafe.

Since you will need to install a mounting point in the ceiling that is able to bear the weight of the chandelier, why not put in the necessary wiring and junction box as well? Then you have a nicely mounted chandelier.

o
RE: Can I swag a minichandelier from a wall junction box

Where is the junction box relative to the vanity/sink/mirror. Depending on the location you might want to consider swagging two small globes or similar. The best solution is to have an electrician install the correct wiring and box for something like a flush mount and/or sconces. I'm concerned about a low hanging chandelier hanging directly over where you would walk. Open bulbs could be easily damaged. How far off the floor would the bottom of this fixture be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here