Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple light switches - dimmable?

Posted by numbersjunkie (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 14:24

We are planning the lighting for our kitchen remodel, and plan to use LED cans and LED or Xenon undercabinet lights. I would like to put dimmers on both the ceiling lights and undercabinet lights. Right now, we have 2 switches to control the ceiling lights from different doorways entering the kitchen. Can you use a dimmer when there are multiple switches controlling the lights? DH says he doesn't think so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple light switches - dimmable?

Yes you can, using dimmers for 3 (or more) way circuits.

o
dimming switch comparison

http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-Dimming-Wall-Switch-Matrix-W16C42.aspx?UserID=3329891&SessionID=ApyftEIGY4ZJ2zuJNFaA

Here is a link that might be useful: dimming switch tables

o

Thanks davidtay, I figured you would have an answer! Now I just have to ask DH to try to figure that chart out.

A few more questions. We have recessed cans that are 25 years old. Should we buy new ones? The Cree LED's fit in standard cans don't they? Or the Juno Wheat Haze trims I have heard so highly recommended-should we buy those? Its so confusing...

o

You can get multi-way dimmers @ either Lowes or Home Depot too.

I don't see why you need to replace the cans if they are working just fine, unless you're moving them/ replacing significant portions of the ceiling and are subject to laws such as title 24.

There's very little that can go wrong with a standard incandescent can.

Get the screw-in base LR6/ CR6 as they will easier to fit into the standard 5"/ 6" incandescent cans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here