Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3' Recessed lights: Cooper IRIS v Philips Lightolier

Posted by drtechno (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 11:39

Hi all

Putting in 3" low volt. recessed lights throughout the house and I have the options of IRIS or Lightolier lights. Obviously, the IRIS is (much) more expensive (double actually, ~$10k more) so I am curious if the added expense is worth it. I have heard the transformers don't make any noise, the color temperature is constant throughout the range (on dimmers), there are more trim options with lensed wall washers, etc.

Anyone have any experience with the Lightolier stuff and the IRIS gear?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3' Recessed lights: Cooper IRIS v Philips Lightolier

Iris fixtures use a toroidal type transformer which has two taps, one is a 12V for switch applications and the other tap boosts the voltage for use with a dimmer to make up for the 10% or so loss so the light levels can equal a switched fixture. They used to have a premium Q-Tran made transformer in them but it's been replaced by a Chinese manufactured transformer with less efficiency. I'm not sure what you mean by color temperature is constant. All halogen lamps will become warmer looking as they are dimmed because the filament is cooler if kept off longer. That has nothing to do with the fixture.

Other premium features include aim locking so that the person relamping the fixture does not accidentally move the aiming adjustment. They also have better lamp concealment and adjustability.

Juno's Aculux is a bit less expensive but comparable.

There are other premium fixtures to consider if they are all to be 3" LV.

o

Good to know.

What other premium fixtures would you consider?
"My hopes lay with these (him)."
"No.. there is another!"

Sorry.. a Star Wars quote. Ya 3" LV is what I need.

From the IRIS brochure regarding color temperature:
Separate output for circuits controlled by dimmers compensates for losses in dimmers, improves color temperature and lumen output.

o

The dual tap transformer can bring the lamp in a fixture back up to specified voltage when the dimmer is at its highest setting. Once you start dimming the lamp its lumens drop and the color temperature shifts. It's not a constant effect once you purposely dim.

USA Illumination would be preferred over Iris if you don't need the other sizes and types of fixtures Iris can supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: USA Illumination

o

Juno has redesigned their Aculux line and it deserves a close look. It was in some ways inferior to Iris. Juno appears to have fixed all of the issues from their new specs while Cooper has degraded Iris by changing suppliers of parts over the years reducing quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here