Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cree lr6 vs lr4

Posted by judi82 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 10:48

I thought I was sold on the LR6 cans for my kitchen until I went to a lighting store yesterday and was told that I should purchase LR4 cans because they "look nicer." The sales person told me that the light going straight down from the LR4 was brighter than the LR6 but that when the angle is increased, the LR6 is brighter. She said that I would need the same number of cans, regardless of whether I purchase the LR6 or LR4.

I've looked at the photometry diagram for these two lights in the CREE catalog. I'm not sure that I know how to read it, or whether I'm even looking at the right information, but it looks like the LR6 is brighter at every angle.

I agree with the sales person that a smaller can looks better, but I also need good light in the kitchen. Can someone give me some advice on this issue? This subject is far too complex for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cree lr6 vs lr4

The cr4 lights cost more. Apart from that, it's apersonal choice.

o
RE: cree lr6 vs lr4

The LR4 according to the specifications is somewhat dimmer. In reality, it would be hard to distinguish using the human eye since there will be a number of recessed can lights (all of the same type) that will be used in unison.

If you are able to have 2 identical rooms side by side with the same number of lights, the difference could be noticeable.

With regards to the diagrams, the scale on the left is the max output. The degrees represented (counter-clockwise) from the bottom is the viewing location.
0 - looking straight at the LED
90 - looking at the side of the LED

The LR4 has a narrower angle since the LEDs are more recessed than the LR6.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here