Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rewiring oldish pendant... need some help

Posted by kathec (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 10:38

I bought this 1970's light from craigslist:
Photobucket

I'm planning to put it over my kitchen sink, but it's too short. I've taken it apart. Initially I thought I could just rewire using the original porcelain socket, but the wires are not screwed down, they are permanently crimped.
Photobucket
So, I've bought a new socket and got lamp wire. This part is all fairly easy. My problem is the grounding wire. The old fixture had a bare copper wire as shown above on the left. I assume that this is still required for pendant lights, but I can't seem to find bare grounding wire in this gauge. I saw the big kind and the green wrapped kind at Lowes, but that's it. I called for help at the store, but the guy said to just strip the lamp wire and use that. That seems a bit suspect to me. Is this what people do? Or do I just need to keep looking for the grounding wire?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rewiring oldish pendant... need some help

If you have a metal box that you are mounting this to, and it has a house ground in the box, wrap that house ground on the ground screw on the mounting kit for this lamp, and use that. This will ground the light.

Mike

o

Stranded lamp wire will work as long as you can secure it with the appropriate screws. Grounding wire is typically solid wire but either will work.

o

"Grounding wire is typically solid wire but either will work."

Solid wiure is rarely used in fixtures.
There is simply to much chance of breakage from assembly and handling.

The grounding wire for a pendent fixture is normally bare stranded wire.

Two conductor cord is used for the hot and neutral (temperature rating determines the insulation required) and a #18 stranded bare wire is the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here