Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
automatic light for dark hallway

Posted by garrai81 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 10:36

I want to install a small motion sensing light (in a hallway) that comes on automatically when it detects motion, but my hallway has no outlets.

Are there small motion sensing lights that one can install on a wall?

I would be interested especially in one that got its energy from day light (rather than batteries).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: automatic light for dark hallway

You could install a motion sensing switch instead. Presumably, if you already have a 3 way switch setup, you could replace one side with a motion sensing switch that is wired up correctly.

o

You could install a motion sensing switch instead. Presumably, if you already have a 3 way switch setup, you could replace one side with a motion sensing switch that is wired up correctly.

o

I am not sure what a "motion sensing switch" is.

There are no outlets and no wall light switches on the specific wall that I want to be "lit".

o

If the aim is to light a dark hallway which has a 3 way switch setup, you could put in something like the following

Here is a link that might be useful: occupancy sensor switch

o

I am sorry, but I am not sure what a "3 way switch setup" means.

The hall has no outlets or light switches.

o

There are battery operated motion sensing lights available.

The batteries need pretty frequent replacement, and the lights are not very bright.

How did you ed up with a hallway with no electric?

The electric code has required hallways to have some type of lighting for a very long time.

o

There is a light in the ceiling.

I want a small - automatic - light to come on when we (my young son and I) walk down the hallway.

Thanks.

Mac

o

There has to be at least a switch on either end of the hallway. That is a 3 way switch setup

o

"There is a light in the ceiling."

How do you turn on the light? Where is the switch?

You can replace the switch with a motion-sensing switch or replace the light with a motion-sensing light.

o

The ceiling light switch is on a side wall, facing the wrong way.

o

My first reaction was. "how can a switch face the wrong way? If the toggle is in the junction box, turn it around!"

The hallway is apparently not straight, but L-shaped? You can't harvest daylight in a dark hallway. Are there windows or a skylight in the hallway?

Your best bet is probably to get a motion sensor light to replace the one there currently. You would just leave the switch as it is and leave it turned on.

If you are renting and can not make this kind of change now is a good time to say so.

This post was edited by ionized on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 10:12

o

I just read through this thread and have one quick comment. When someone asks for help with an electric light question, but is not sure what a "3 way switch" or "motion sensing switch" is, it will be hard to find a common ground to start the discussion. In most cases we assume that consumers understand common type of light switches because they see them every day in buildings and houses.

I am also confused about how a switch can face the wrong way, but I have to assume it must be located on a wall that is not in the hallway.

Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here