Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrai81

automatic light for dark hallway

garrai81
10 years ago

I want to install a small motion sensing light (in a hallway) that comes on automatically when it detects motion, but my hallway has no outlets.

Are there small motion sensing lights that one can install on a wall?

I would be interested especially in one that got its energy from day light (rather than batteries).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mac

Comments (12)

• David
    10 years ago

You could install a motion sensing switch instead. Presumably, if you already have a 3 way switch setup, you could replace one side with a motion sensing switch that is wired up correctly.

• David
    10 years ago

You could install a motion sensing switch instead. Presumably, if you already have a 3 way switch setup, you could replace one side with a motion sensing switch that is wired up correctly.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not sure what a "motion sensing switch" is.

There are no outlets and no wall light switches on the specific wall that I want to be "lit".

• David
    10 years ago

If the aim is to light a dark hallway which has a 3 way switch setup, you could put in something like the following

Here is a link that might be useful: occupancy sensor switch

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry, but I am not sure what a "3 way switch setup" means.

The hall has no outlets or light switches.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

There are battery operated motion sensing lights available.

The batteries need pretty frequent replacement, and the lights are not very bright.

How did you ed up with a hallway with no electric?

The electric code has required hallways to have some type of lighting for a very long time.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is a light in the ceiling.

I want a small - automatic - light to come on when we (my young son and I) walk down the hallway.

Thanks.

Mac

• David
    10 years ago

There has to be at least a switch on either end of the hallway. That is a 3 way switch setup

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

"There is a light in the ceiling."

How do you turn on the light? Where is the switch?

You can replace the switch with a motion-sensing switch or replace the light with a motion-sensing light.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The ceiling light switch is on a side wall, facing the wrong way.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

My first reaction was. "how can a switch face the wrong way? If the toggle is in the junction box, turn it around!"

The hallway is apparently not straight, but L-shaped? You can't harvest daylight in a dark hallway. Are there windows or a skylight in the hallway?

Your best bet is probably to get a motion sensor light to replace the one there currently. You would just leave the switch as it is and leave it turned on.

If you are renting and can not make this kind of change now is a good time to say so.

This post was edited by ionized on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 10:12

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

I just read through this thread and have one quick comment. When someone asks for help with an electric light question, but is not sure what a "3 way switch" or "motion sensing switch" is, it will be hard to find a common ground to start the discussion. In most cases we assume that consumers understand common type of light switches because they see them every day in buildings and houses.

I am also confused about how a switch can face the wrong way, but I have to assume it must be located on a wall that is not in the hallway.

Bruce