Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting Plan for new construction

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 8:29

Hello,
Below is our lighting plan. I would appreciate your thoughts. The one thing I know we are going to do is eliminate ceiling fans from bedrooms. Also, we are debating on the great room. DH does not want recessed lights due to loss of heat but I am not sure what are other options would be. I don't want a chandelier and I don't want light fixtures that you would find in bedrooms. Would appreciate any feedback.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting Plan for new construction

2nd floor...

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o

Is it new construction or rehab of an existing house? You talk about eliminating light fixtures which implies some are there already.

That's a lot of lighting for advice on. For the bedrooms where there were lighted fans you could just rely on table and floor lamps. Beyond that I suggest that you engage a lighting designer or at least a good sales person at a local lighting store for advice on not only the amount of light needed but also fixture design.

o

Thanks. New construction. I will be eliminating the fans (from the plan) in the bedrooms.

My biggest concern is figuring out the great room lights. Right now the room shows recessed lighting but we are debating changing this. DH wants regular lights. I think this would not look nice. And I don't want chandelier. I have heard of track lighting but not sure if that would work in a room this size. I have also thought about scones throughout but not sure if they would provide enough visible light. Is recessed lighting really our best option for 2 story great room?

o

I think for a 2 story great room you will need more than recessed lighting. I would use floor and table lamps to supplement. Put the recessed on dimmers.

o

You could consider the use of cove lighting - along the perimeter of the room to provide indirect lighting.

If recessed lighting is still deemed necessary, use higher output lamps like the CreeLR6-DR1000 (1000 lumens). As an added bonus, those lights should be able to last > 15 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here