Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about radio-controlled switches

Posted by latimore (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 8:07

I have a ceiling mounted fixture that is currently operated with a pull chain. I'd like it to be switched.

I've talked to a number of electricians who have seemed to be a little hesitant to do this because of cutting the existing finishes (old beadboard), or who have suggested that the only way to do it is with wiremold, which I find unacceptable.

I'm looking for some ideas/thoughts about radio controlled switches. We have a Heath Zenith one that screws into the fixture (came with the house) - it seems to work just fine. They're about $20-25. I know there are much more expensive options out there as well that are wired into the fixture (or into the power into the fixture). Does anyone have experience with these or a product they would recommend - or discourage?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about radio-controlled switches

I think that for your simple requirements, the cheapies will be fine. Screw one part into the fixture and use a portable or wall mounted remote to operate it, no reason to make it more complicated than that.

o
RE: Question about radio-controlled switches

We have one that seems to switch on randomly. I'm sure there is some sort of radio signal that activates it, but I've not been able to trace a source. It is annoying to come home after a long stretch to find it burning away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here