Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

Old fixtures in a new house

mushcreek
9 years ago

I'm single-handedly building our Craftsman house in rural SC, and we are trying to incorporate old pieces from that era into our build. I have bought a number of vintage lighting fixtures on ebay, and am re-wiring them to use.

The ceiling fixture originally had the light bulbs pointed downward, which I didn't care for, and it requires a decorative bulb. The LED bulbs we use certainly don't look 'right'. I put new sockets in, pointing up, and covered the large holes in the bottom with back plates for cabinet knobs. With the LED bulbs, the whole fixture is only 15 watts. I still need to put on the pendant that hangs from the middle.

The wall sconce is one of a pair I bought. The electric parts had been removed, and they had been used with real candles instead. I installed candelabra sockets and re-wired them. I do need much lower wattage bulbs than shown here.

I also have two pairs of porcelain wall sconces to be used in the bathrooms, but they need to be re-wired first.

The best part of fixing up these old fixtures is that they can be found for far less than reproduction ones. The LED bulbs cost more than the ceiling fixture did!