Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggplantlady_gw

Lighting - Under Cabinet

eggplantlady
13 years ago

I'm putting in a stacked stone backsplash and dark (verde butterfly) granite counters. I want to install under cabinet lighting that will show the beauty of the backsplash. I don't want any type of light that looks too white and it must be the plug in type. Here is the link for the stone. You can see it has some warm ochre tones. I don't want the lighting to wash out the ochre. Any suggestions?

http://www.norstoneusa.com/stacked_stone_rock_panel_ochre.asp#

If you click on the picture of the kitchen with reddish cabinets, you will see the type of light I want.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

Another vote for xenon. My advice, take a sample of the stone to a lighting place and see how it looks under the various lights. We did this with out granite same and LED washed out the color. Halogen is a little on the white side also and seems to run a tad hotter. Xenon (low voltage) was the best for us... until a few years when LED becomes more mature.

• geckogo
    13 years ago

Definitely xenon in my opinion

• dodge59
    13 years ago

We've had Xenon backlighting our granite backsplash for over 4 years now. They are on dimmers. Not a single bulb has burned out. Halogens are typically rated at 2000 hours and Xenon are rated at 10,000 hours, and as mentioned they run cooler than Halogens and if you touch a Xenon bulb and forget to wipe it off, You won't ruin it like you would a Halogen bulb.

Gary

• sroch_shaw_ca
    13 years ago

we have black granite countertop and backsplash. What kind of undercabinet lighting will look the best. Lighting stores have told me, that black granite is difficult to work with because of the glare and reflection. At this point I,m thinking of linear lights made by sea gull.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

Personally, I would never install glossy counters. They are certainly attractive, but it strikes me as a case of style over function. Dark colored surfaces would only worsen this effect.

I can't think of ANY kind of undercabinet lighting that won't reflect off glossy countertops and glare in your eyes as you work.

You'll be better off if the main task light comes from either behind you or (better) all around you. Good indirect lighting is crucial for your kitchen.

Recessed cans are poor choices for this purpose. If you have cans, I would suggest adding bright linear fluorescent fixtures above the cabinets and/or behind cove molding, reflecting from the ceiling, to imporove indirect room flux.

It seems to me that if you really want undercabinet lights, the larger the radiating surface, the less objectionable the glare will be (lower point intensity for the number of lumens produced). To me that suggests fluorescent, and the larger the fixtures, the better. This is not the place for T2 / T4 / T5 slimline fixtures. And definitely not pucks or LEDs.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I can't think of ANY kind of undercabinet lighting that won't reflect off glossy countertops and glare in your eyes as you work."

It all depends on the location of the lights.

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

Please don't assume all LED are a cooler light (as opposed to a warm yellow light) You need to check the color temp (measured in Kelvin) some LED lights are 2700-3000K which is a warm light, comparable to incandescant . I prefer them around 4000K which is a brighter white light - still not bluish. There are charts online that show the difference. I don't want to post a link because I don't want to appear to be advertising or spam. I'm just someone who has been looking at the LED stuff for a few months now.

• EyeForget
    12 years ago

"Here is a link that might be useful: Xenon Low Voltage Light Strip"

Just to add more confusion to the issue, these are not xenon lights, they are halogen lights using xenon gas. Xenon light bulbs do not have a filament. If you see a filament, its marketing taking liberties. I consider it BS but that's the nature of the industry.