Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jettam

UnderCabinet LEDs that give a nice light and dimmable ?

jettam
15 years ago

Hi.

I want to use dimmable LEDs for my kitchen under cabinet lighting. I have seen LED underCabinet lighting but it isnt dimmable and doesn't put out a very nice light, and I have seen Fluorescent under cabinet lights that look nice but aren't dimmable.

So can anyone tell me if they have seen nice LED Under Cabinets lights that give a nice light that is dimmable.? Does Cree do them ?

:)

Comments (13)

• bayou_cityzens
    15 years ago

I just ordered some from Environmental Lights. I won't know for a while how they turn out, but I was extremely happy with the customer experience in dealing with them; I got my CREE LR6s from them as well.

Most of their bars are dimmable with one exception: the 8" unit. Depending on whether or not you need to use them to assemble your run will determine whether you can make them dimmable.

I also looked at some LEDs from Juno that work with their Trac12 track system. They are also dimmable. Look here: http://www.junolightinggroup.com/Spec%20Sheets/Juno/D3_2_7.pdf

Both come in two color temperatures, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Undercabinet LEDs

• jettam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi bayou_cityzens
    I am very interested to hear what you think of these lights once you have installed them. SO please keep me/us posted.

My wife is using her Jedi mind tricks on me and it looks like I will have to settle for Under cabinet fluorescent they look OK but they don't do a 12inch dimmable (we have one tight space that needs a 12inch strip) so the lighting plan would be inconsistent.
    I remember when we started this project that someone said make sure all your lights are dimmable even the undercabinets so this is what I am trying to do but the problems I am up against is Title24 so Xenon is out so is incandecent. The dimmable fluorescent doesn't dim at 12inches and the LED well I haven't seen any LED that compare with Xenon.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

What I would like is data on operating temperatures. I'm sure the heat factor is mitigated by the space between the counter top and the bottom of the upper cabinets. I currently have pucks with Xelogen lamps. Right on the bulb box it says not to use them around combustable materials. I'm an electrician and I will probably replace them with florescent strips. My present pucks are dimmable but this is not an issue with me.

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

We also purchased under cabinet LEDs from Environmental Lighting. The owner lives near us in San Diego, and invited us to his home to see all of his products. We purchased under cabinets from him, and are pleased with the color. We chose the warm white lights, even though they are not as bright. The neutral white ones seemed too much like my old florescent ones. We also looked at the LED can lights he installed in his home. They were great, but a bit out of our budget for now. You have to check out the ribbon flex LED lighting. We loved it and are trying to think of how we could use it. The owner is a pleasure to work with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Lighting

• mhozoller_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Are these LED lights bright enough for reading recipe, or do you use it just for back-lighting?

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

I do not have mine installed yet, but I did see them turned on when I purchased them. The neutral white ones ares almost twice as bright as the warm white. They would be plenty bright. I was being very particular about the color of the light and decided to give up some brightness for color. I took my granite and stone with me, and I felt that the nuetral white cast a tiny bit of a blue glow on my gold stone. Therefore, I went with the warm white. My thinking was that if it ended up not being bright enough, I could add a second strip of them. (I know $$$, but at this point in a remodel, who's counting anymore!?!)

I think is is really your preference and they way you use undercabinet lighting. I have bright recessed cans and pendants over my island, so I wasn't too worried about a very bright under cabinet light.

• ledman
    15 years ago

There is a large selection of LED undercabinet available from Asian suppliers. Most work on 12VDC and are easy to install. The strip light are nice but you have to be able to cut and connect (solder that is) the next end to continue.

There are also some really nice rigid strips that are thin and hide well under the cupboard. Colors are as varied as required and can also be color change.

The installation simply requires a 12VDC source (even a 12VDC similar to your old CD play is good enough).

If you have any specific requirements, I can provide you the information and the products.

• skipertino
    12 years ago

There is a new kichler LEd Direct wire under cabinet light that is dimmable with a regular house dimmer, and puts out a better light quality than any fluorescent. the new kichlers are available at this web site www.under-cabinet-lights.net. The kichler model numbers for the new lights are# 12055, 12056, 12057, and 12058.

Here is a link that might be useful: Under Cabinet lights

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"What I would like is data on operating temperatures."

The LEDs run far cooler than any incandescent light.

Any heat generated is in the power supply for taking 120 VAC down to low voltage DC (often 12 VDC).

Even these do not get all that hot since they use high efficiency high frequency switching.

• bababear
    11 years ago

I was told that all the led light bars can be hardwired. All you need is to cut off the plug? Any one have experience with this? Also, can all of them become dimmable if the switch is a dimmable one?

• bababear
    11 years ago

I was told that all the led light bars can be hardwired. All you need is to cut off the plug? Any one have experience with this? Also, can all of them become dimmable if the switch is a dimmable one?

• David
    11 years ago

No, not all led light bars can be hardwired. Neither are all of them dimmable. The led Ucl thread has more details.