Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed lighting for family room

Posted by ksd51 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 0:58

My contractor has put in 6 inch recessed cans for my family room. We have a ceiling fan light as well. What is the best type of bulbs to use? We want a bright light, but natural looking. Contractor tried very bright bulbs, had almost a blue cast. It was too stark, and yet the ceiling was shadowed even with the ceiling fan light on. (Fan light is covered with plastic right now. Don't know how much difference it makes with the plastic on). Do not know if a ceiling is usually shadowed unless you have additional lighting ie: lamps on end tables. Would appreciate any recommendations. I do know that I do not want to use compact flourescent bulbs. Our walls are a very muted yellow. Did notice that without the very bright light the walls look almost gold. We would prefer if possible to retain the muted yellow without having the light too bright Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed lighting for family room

Forgot t mention I have an 8 foot ceiling. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

o
Scallop shadows on the wall.

Just thought of another factor. The way the lighting is right now, I have a scalloped effect on the walls. What causes that? How do I rectify the situation?

o

Scalloping is a function of the distance from the wall.
Once installed, getting rid of that scallop is nearly impossible.
If you don't want to use CFL's , I reccommend trying Satco's "soft par" lamps. which will provide a little more horizontal light, and soften the starkness of the halogen lamps, and perhaps lessen the scallop effect.
By dimming your light bulbs, you will get a yellower light, and lenghten the life of your bulbs twofold

o

Thanks for your thoughts. I will look into your recommendations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here